Fauquier Equestrian Forum
Code of Conduct
The following Code of Conduct has been formulated to insure that no member will abuse the privilege of riding or hiking across private or public property. When you join the Fauquier Equestrian Forum you agree to follow all our codes of conduct which include:
1. THE RIGHTS OF THE PROPERTY OWNERS, ACROSS WHOSE LAND WE ARE PERMITTED TO RIDE/HIKE, MUST BE RESPECTED AT ALL TIMES.
Remember that you are a guest on the land. When you meet landowners, be courteous and let them know how much you appreciate the pleasure they are providing you. One irresponsible person can cause the closing of a trail.
2. DISPLAY YOUR I.D. WHEN ON THE TRAILS.
You must display your parking permit on your vehicle dashboard and wear your trail I.D. passes in a visible location at all times when on the trails.
3. RIDE ON DESIGNATED TRAILS ONLY.
Riders must not wander from marked trails and must stay close to the edge of farmers' fields. Do not use any landowner's schooling facilities, jumps, rings, training tracks, playing fields, etc. You MUST respect TRAIL CLOSED signs.
4. TRAILS ARE OPEN FROM SUNRISE TO SUNSET ONLY TO HORSEBACK RIDERS WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND WHO HAVE CURRENT TRAIL PASSES AND PARKING PERMITS.
Check emails and Facebook for trail closures before going to the trails.
5. PLEASE REPORT ANY DAMAGE OR REPAIRS NEEDED TO THE TRAIL MANAGER.
6. BE THOUGHTFUL OF LANDOWNER'S PRIVACY.
Wave as you pass houses whether or not you can see anyone and when you see someone working on the land. Dress appropriately and keep voices down. Walk your horse down any driveway or trail that passes close to a house, or by any pasture where you may disturb livestock.
7. ALWAYS APPROACH OTHER RIDERS AT A WALK AND, IF DIRECTED, PASS AT A WALK.
8. RIDING HELMETS ARE REQUIRED on County/FEF managed property.
9. CURRENT NEGATIVE COGGINS REQUIRED.
A copy of a current negative Coggins test taken within one year must be carried with any horse on the trails.
10. NO SMOKING ON THE TRAILS.
11. NO RIDING IS ALLOWED ON THE TRAILS WHEN THEY ARE VERY WET AND MUDDY.
If you leave marks more than an inch deep, you must turn around and go a different way. If you would not ride across your own front lawn, it is too wet to use the trails.
12. LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME.
13. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ON THE TRAILS OR IN PARKING AREAS.
14. NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES, EXCEPT THOSE NEEDED FOR MAINTENANCE, ARE ALLOWED.
15. KEEP THE PARKING AREA CLEAN.
You must haul out all manure and hay from the parking lot as well as all trash.